Rachel's Raw Bars
My dear and radiant student Rachel, has generously shared her secret (no so much now) recipe of these DELICIOUS bars. The recipe can be changed with equivalent ingredients, for example, instead of almonds, you can use cashews, and so on.
1 cup of pitted Medjool dates (take out the pits just before to mantain moisture)
1 ½ cup of old-fashioned, gluten-free oats
1 cup of raw almonds (can be substituted by any combination of nuts and seeds)
½ cup of chopped 72% dark chocolate (cocoa powder can be used but has less nutritional value)
½ cup shredded dried coconut (unsweetened, no additives added)
¼ cup dried blueberries (can be substituted for cranberries, goji berries or dried cherries)
1/4 cup of maple syrup (can be substituted by 2 tablespoons of organic dark molasses)
1/3 cup of raw almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
1 tsp of sea salt (can be substituted for Himalayan or Celtic salts)
1. Line an 8inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor – First: chop almonds as coarse as preferable, set them aside. Second: chop dark chocolate, set it aside. Next, pour dates and chop them until obtaining a rough, wet mixture.
3. Transfer dates into a bowl, add oats, chopped almonds, chopped chocolate, shredded coconut and goji berries.
4. In a small pot, warm maple syrup and nut butter lightly over low heat. Pour it over bowl mixture and combine well.
5. Transfer to baking sheet and press down to even layer. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and freeze it until firm (approximately 10 minutes).
6. Remove and slice into bars. Store in airtight glass container for up to 5 days.